The villa, known above all as the residence of the Savoys, who owned it from 1872 to 1878 and from 1904 to 1946, covers an area of about 180 hectares and also includes the remains of Antemnae, one of the most ancient cities of Latium built on the mountain of the same name in front of the confluence between the Tiber and the Aniene (Antemnae comes from ante amnem, "in front of the river").
In the 17th century the territory was divided into estates owned by various families. At the end of the 1700s, the larger lands were purchased by the Pallavicini Family who erected a lodge and created the English garden style park with small buildings and an artificial lake.
After being abandoned, it passed to the Potenziani Family and, in 1871, it was bought by Vittorio Emanuele II who also bought ten neighboring areas to build his own residence and hunting lodge. When Vittorio Emanuele died in 1878, the manor area of the villa was sold to the Swiss count Tellfner.
From 1878 to 1901 the villa remained the property of the count, who named it after his wife Ada, establishing its current name. Vittorio Emanuele III bought back Villa Ada in 1904 and donated it to his wife, Queen Elena. The king devoted himself energetically to the arrangement of the park.
In 1904 the monumental portal was built, the villa was embellished and enriched by new elements, including a Loggia intended as a study for the queen who looked out on the Italian garden designed for her by Filippo d'Assia-Kassel. The area towards Mount Antenne took the name of "Bosco regina Elena".
Today the large park of Villa Ada is one of the most beautiful green areas of Rome, an ideal place for walking and jogging among forests of oaks, cork oaks, pine forests and meadows populated by squirrels, hedgehogs, wild rabbits, and large communities of birds that have found the right habitat in this park.
aperta dalle 7.00 al tramonto