The monumental fountain is placed at the foot of the beautiful Terrace of the Pincio, in the eastern hemicycle of Piazza del Popolo.
Completed in 1823 - based on a design by Giuseppe Valadier, realised by Giovanni Ceccarini - the majestic marble sculptural group depicts the Goddess Roma, the personification of the city, flanked by two allegorical statues of the Tiber and Aniene rivers.
The divinity, armed, wears a helmet and holds a spear, and at its foot, is the she-wolf nursing the twins Romulus and Remus. Below the statues there is a large semicircular travertine basin, above which a shell valve collects the water poured from a small basin at the top.
The work, symmetrical to the imposing fountain of Nettuno in the opposite hemicycle, is part of the urban redevelopment project of Piazza del Popolo, entrusted to the architect Valadier at the beginning of the 19th century.
The square took the shape of a wide ellipse, at the centre of which rises a splendid Egyptian obelisk of about 24 meters (Obelisk Flaminio), framed by gardens and embellished with statues and splendid fountains.
In the years 1997-1998, the fountain underwent a significant restoration which involved the entire monumental and artistic complex of the square.
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.