In a hurry to get about town and don’t want to use public transport? Call a taxi company. The sole number to dial a taxi is 060609.
For a list of the 65 taxi ranks in Rome and further more detailed information about the service, visit website www.060608.it.
For full info about fares go to www.comune.roma.it.
Taxis licensed by Rome City Council are white and have a sign bearing the word “TAXI” on their roofs. The symbol of Rome City Council is clearly visible on the front doors and the license inside the back left. Other vehicles may well be driven by unauthorized persons and the fare could therefore be a great deal higher. When possible, it is advisable to go to a taxi rank or call for one by telephone. A taxi may be booked for airports, railway stations and hospital via Radiotaxi. As explained below, a further cost is added when calling via Radiotaxi.
The Rome City Council number for a taxi is 060609. You can request the taxi either by calling the 060609 or by the App ChiamaTaxi 060609 (Ios and Android systems), downloadable from google play or app store. By calling an automatic answering machine (in Italian only), the users have to pronounce the address and street number where they are. Through voice recognition (Automatic Speech Recognition), the system directs the call to the nearest taxi rank. The App allows data entry via touch, GPS identification of the customer's position, and then direct voice contact with the nearest taxi.
The fares are based on the following criteria:
• Single progressive taxi metre rates are valid throughout the municipality, working on a unit basis calculated according to kilometres travelled and time accumulated for each journey;
• Fares are not higher than the annual inflation rates issued by the National Statistics Bureau Istat;
• Fares are reduced for women travelling alone at night, as well as journeys to hospitals and for youngsters leaving discos on Friday and Saturday nights, subject to prior agreement having been stipulated with club in question.
Initial fixed fee
- Fixed fee from point of departure on weekdays (from 6:00 to 22:00) € 3.00
- Fixed fee from point of departure on Sundays and public holidays (from 6:00 to 22:00) € 4.50
- Fixed fee from point of departure at nights (from 22:00 to 6:00) € 6.50
- Hourly rate Euro/per hour applicable for a speed less than 20 km./per hour €27
SINGLE PROGRESSIVE TAXIMETER FARE:
- T1 for speeds higher than 20 km per hour: € 1,10 per km.
- T2 for speeds higher than 20 km per hour: € 1,30 per km
- T3 for speeds higher than 20 km per hour: € 1,60 per km
T1 becomes T2 when an amount of € 11 is added to the initial set fare on the metre display; from this moment the second fare rate kicks in (T2= € 1,30) until the metre shows another added amount of € 13; then, the third fare rate kicks in (T3 = € 1,60) until the end of the journey.
A 10% reduction applies to the amount stated on the taximeter in the following cases:
- Direct journeys to state hospitals in Rome
- For unaccompanied women using the night service (between 22.00 - 6.00)
- For young people leaving clubs and discos on Friday and Saturday nights, subject to prior agreement in place with the management of such venues.
- The first piece of luggage is free; each subsequent piece of luggage measuring more than 35x25x50 cm costs € 1.00
- The fifth passenger upwards in taxis with a capacity for more than 4 passengers: € 1.00
- The fixed fee for calling a radio-controlled taxi is € 3.50
MAIN TAXI RANKS
Largo Torre Argentina (between Pantheon & Trastevere), Piazza Fiume (Villa Borghese), Piazza Venezia, Piazza Giuseppe Gioachino Belli (Trastevere), Piazzale Ostiense, Piazza S.Silvestro (Fontana di Trevi), Piazza dei Cinquecento (Termini Station), Piazzale della Stazione Tiburtina, Metro A Anagnina, Piazzale della Stazione del Lido (Ostia), Piazza Risorgimento (Vatican).
- Make sure the taxi metre (placed above the dashboard or attached to the upper part of the front windscreen) is switched on prior to starting journey, if not ask driver to get it going.
- Always ask to be given a receipt. The receipt must include the following information: details of the journey, the licence number, the fare and the driver’s signature.
- In the event of a problem or dispute, call Traffic Wardens at the number of 0667104282 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and report it on the site www.turismoroma.it.
- Complaints/Demands for compensation may also be sent to:
Dipartimento Mobilità e Trasporti, Commissione di Garanzia,
Via Capitan Bavastro 94, 00154, Roma.
- Taxi drivers may not refuse service; may not select passengers; may not carry more passengers than is indicated in the vehicle’s logbook; must charge the amount indicated by the taximeter except for those routes where there is a fixed tariff; must request that passengers fasten their seat belts if they have not done so.