Founded in 1876 by the Italian paleontologist Luigi Pigorini, with the aim of illustrating the prehistoric testimonies of Italy and those of the current populations in order to compare the different stages of development of cultures, it was inaugurated in 1876 in the Collegio Romano palace; between 1962 and 1977 it was transferred to the current head office of the EUR District.
Since 1994, the museum has a new layout in two sectors: one dedicated to Prehistory and Protohistory, and another to non-European indigenous cultures.
Through avant-garde teaching aids, models, reconstructions, graphic devices, the museum aims to illustrate the evolutionary path of our species, accompanying the visitor along an itinerary consisting of models that faithfully reproduce different situations of excavation.
From September 2016, the Museum is part of the MuCiv - Museo delle Civiltà cultural pole, together with the Museo delle Arti e Tradizioni Popolari Lamberto Loria, the Museo d'Arte Orientale Giuseppe Tucci and the Museo dell'Alto Medioevo Alessandra Vaccaro.
Museums and cultural sites are subject at the COVID containment measures.
For the opening times and guidelines please check the official website
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.