The Spanish Steps are an extraordinary masterpiece of 18th-century scenographic taste. They represent the ideal link between the Pincio hill and the underlying Piazza di Spagna, formerly separated by a bare, steep, and muddy hill. The Staircase was built, between 1723 and 1726, by the architect Francesco De Sanctis, who was commissioned by Cardinal Pierre Guérin de Tencin. It was inaugurated on the occasion of the Jubilee of 1725 by Pope Benedict XIII.
In travertine, the staircase has 11 ramps, each made up of 12 steps, which divide, wind, come together, constantly changing direction.
A series of balustrades accompanies the ramps that interrupt the steep difference in height and function as a resting point and enjoyment of the landscape. The grandiose structure, which established a link between an area of the city with a strong French presence with the Spanish colony below, constitutes an architectural space that serves both for transit and as a meeting place and a pleasant stop.
In 1995, the Spanish Steps underwent a complete restoration.
In 2015, thanks to the Maison Bvlgari, they underwent a new restoration which, on 22 September 2016, restored their original appearance and made them accessible again.
Reopened after restoration
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.