
Commissioned by Paul the Fifth Borghese(1605-1621) and designed by Maderno, it was built in 1614 and placed in Piazza Scossacavalli in front of Palazzo Campeggi, residence of cardinal Scipione Borghese.
The project involved using a large quadrangular granite basin, which Alexander VI Borgia (1492-1503) had placed near the fountain in St. Peter's Square, currently behind the apse of St. Peter's Basilica. In place of this project, a fountain was built with a square basin, flanked by circular arches; at the centre is a shaft decorated with four volutes, depicting the eagle and dragon of the Borghese family, which supports the basin, which is circular, low and wide; at the centre of the basin is a capital.
In 1933, with the demolition of the Borgo spina for the opening of Via della Conciliazione, the fountain was dismantled and stored in the municipal warehouses; in 1958, it was rebuilt, replacing some elements, in front of the façade of the church of Sant'Andrea della Valle, in the square of the same name.
Information
Condividi
Location
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.












































