Located in Via del Corso, a stone's throw from Piazza del Popolo, the Goethe House is where the German poet lived from 1786 to 1788 during his stay in Rome, together with the painters Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein, J. G. Schütz and F. Bury.
Opened in 1997, it is currently the only German museum abroad. Lively place of Italian-German cultural exchange, it preserves books, including Iphigenia in Tauris and Torquato Tasso by Goethe himself, as well as letters and drawings that tell the story of the artist's famous journey to Italy and hosts temporary exhibitions, events, readings and conferences in both languages.
Of particular note is the permanent collection, which includes paintings, drawings, prints, books, autographs, sculptures, photographs and installations. The thematic core focuses on works by Goethe and German artists, part of his circle of friends, and Italian and German contemporary artists inspired by Goethe's journey.
The Goethe House also houses two libraries:
- the Historical library and archive of the Association of German Artists, a collection of great value, which bears witness to the reading habits of German artists in Rome in the 19th century. Besides library resources, it keeps documents, records and catalogues of the collections of all previous historical libraries, minutes, cash and inventory books, annual reports, pamphlets and correspondence of the history of the association.
- the Goethe Library, a collection of about 8,500 volumes, bibliographic rarities, first and later valuable editions of Goethe's works, illustrated texts, tourist guides and travel reports on the Goethe age, the tradition of travel in Italy, the history of German and Italian literature and cultural relations between Italy and Germany.
From Tuesday to Sunday 10.00-18.00
Last admission half an hour before closing
For updates and guidelines please check the > official website
To find out about all accessibility services, visit the Rome accessible section.